GENEVA, Switzerland – From outdoor salsa parties to performance art; from classical music to flea markets; from the Lion King to a 5k race. Here’s a roundup of what’s on this month in Geneva (and some nearby towns).
- Concerts & Other Performing Arts
- Classical Music Concerts
- Exhibits (indoor & outdoor) / Performance Art
- Food and Drink / Markets / Mixers
- Geneva Latina
- Kids & Families
- Plan ahead
Remember 14 & 25 May are holidays.
Concerts & Other Performing Arts, Film Festivals
- 7-10 May: Geneva Dance Festival. There are dance festivals all across Switzerland. In Geneva there will be free classes (from Hawaiian dancing to Bollywood) and dance performances all over the canton.
- 7-17 May: Mapping Festival, Geneva. Where electronica meets VJs.
- 8, 12-13 May: Theatre in English, Antigonick. Geneva.
- 8-16 May, Les Athénéennes, jazz and classical music festival in Geneva.
- 10 May: Claude Tabarini jazz concert. Geneva.
- 16-17 May: Weekend en fanfare, brass band concerts at Place du Molard, Bastions Park & Victoria Hall. It includes a movie under the stars. Free.
- 21 May: Tango, Italian & gipsy music in Grand-Saconnex. Free.
- 30 May: Fete de l’Espoir. A night of music in French, free.
- 28-31 May: Five Continents Film Festival, in neighboring France.
Classical Music Concerts
- 3 May: Bose-Pastor Duo with apéro following. Carouge.
- 3 May-4 June: Quatuor de Genève and other artists perform at the Art and History Museum on Sundays. Geneva.
- 8 May: New World Symphony at the UN in Geneva. Must request a UN pass if you don’t have one.
- 19-22 May: Ansermet Ensemble concert in Lausanne.
- 29-31 May: Festival des Musiques du Bas-Valais.
- 6-7 June: Geneva Camerata in Mezieres, Vaud (with a boat ride to Lausanne for only 2fr.)
Exhibits (indoor & outdoor) / Performance Art
- Until 3 May: Geneva Book and Press Fair
- 3 May: Garden Party at the Chateau de Prangins. Activities for kids, plants exhibit and exchange and more.
- 7 & 9 May: Art in Old Town, museums and galleries open in the evening starting at 17:00 and then again on Saturday 9 May all day.
- 7 May: Nights d’ascension. An evening of multi-sensorial art activities lead by Jelena Martinovic. Lausanne.
- 11-27 May: Art & Artisanat, at the UN. Email to request a pass if you don’t have one.
- 13-16 May: History Festival, history through still images, films, radio & conferences. Includes a tour of the newly built Maison de la Paix in Geneva.
- 15 May: Live multimedia performance at the Geneva Main Library. Free. 18:00.
- 16-17 May: Night of the Museums, Geneva.
- 16 May until 2016: Becoming Swiss, at the Maison Tavel documents and artifacts in remembrance of Geneva’s entry to the Swiss Confederation. Geneva.
- 28-31 May: Fureur de Lire, three days of activities dedicated to books and reading (even in the oddest of spaces.)
- Until 14 June: Calligraphy exhibit at Cite du Temps in Geneva. Free.
Food & Drink / Markets and Mixers
- 30 April-3 May: Plan-les-Ouates’ church fair.
- 6 May: Campbeltown Single Malts conference.
- 8-9 May: La Noyere spring market, including wine and Irish music concert.
- 8-10 May: The Art of Gardens, at the Coppet Castle. Exhibit and sale.
- 9 May: Vernier Spring Market, special sale of seasonal plants, petting zoo and more.
- 9 May: Aigle Spring Market, Vaud.
- 14-16 May: Open wine cellars in the Valais.
- 21 & 28 May: Swiss wine tasting, Halles de l’Ile, Geneva.
- 23-24 May: Open wine cellars in canton Vaud.
- 28 May: Food Trucks Festival, at the Riponne Plaza. Food dispensed from mobile trucks.
- 30 May: Geneva’s Caves Ouvertes, wine cellars open day.
- 2 June: Geneva’s Younger Professionals meet at Hotel d’Angleterre.
- Full flea market listing – including vintage and home décor sales – posted separately here.
- 9 May: Jorge Celedon in concert. Geneva.
- 9 May: Salsa Night for Charity, CHF15 to get in. All entry fee proceeds go to an education project in Ecuador.
- 10 May: Salsa dancing, Geneva.
- 14 May: Puerto Rican salsa dancing, Geneva.
- 16 May: Victor Manuelle in concert in Geneva.
- 17 May: Kizomba dancing, Geneva.
- 22 May: Salsa at Perle du Lac Park. Geneva.
- 23 May: Clave de Son Festival, Meyrin.
- 24 May: Salsa dancing, Geneva.
- 30 May: Flamenco dancing show, Geneva.
Kids & Family Activities
- Until 14 May: Circus Nock at Plainpalais.
- 1-10 May: La Cour des Contes. Storytelling festival in French-speaking Switzerland.
- 3 May: Amaranta Porqué, Colombian storyteller Nicolás Buenaventura Vidal, will narrate tales in French & Spanish, at the MEG. Free.
- 5-21 May: The Lion King, musical theatre from Broadway, in English in Basel.
- 6 May to end August: Wednesday at the Museums in Geneva. (English version to follow).
- 9 May: Geneva Main Library reopens with theatre, music, exhibits and more. 10:00-20:00. Free. For kids and adults.
- 9 May: Swiss Parliament open doors. Bern. Free.
- 16-17 May: Night of the Museums, great fun for everyone. Geneva.
- 15 May until April 2016: Exoplanetes – Earth & Sun, a planetary exhibit at the Planetarium. Geneva. Free.
- Until 17 May: Tulips in bloom in Morges, canton Vaud. A beautiful flower display, covers several blocks. A must see.
- 28-31 May: Fureur de lire. A festival of books and reading throughout the Vieille Ville.
- 29-30 May: La Jonction est a vous. Games, flea market, food and more!
- 29-30 May: Geneva fire stations open house. A full day of activities and hands-on visit for kids and adults. In St. Jean, Paquis, Bains and the quai du Rhône.
- 2 May: Samedis du vélo, biking on Saturdays around canton Geneva. Guided, easy bike rides. Once a month.
- 2 May: Harlem Globetrotters in Geneva.
- 2-3 May: Geneva Marathon.
- 3 May: Lavaux Up. Walk, bike, skate between Cully and Vevey and through the lovely Lavaux.
- 9 May: Outdoor sports / fitness classes for everyone. Free. Grand-Saconnex.
- 15-23 May: Geneva Tennis Open.
- 17 May: Dimanche à pied, or Sundays by foot around canton Geneva. Guided, thematic, easy to moderate walks. Once a month.
- 22 May: Masters of Dirt, Zurich.
- 23-24 May: Geneva Darts Open at the Queue d’Arve. Watch the arrows!
- 24 May: Naval Parade, Lake Geneva.
- 29-31 May: Fete de la Nature. Take to the green, work out, explore, play in nature. All throughout the Swiss French-speaking region.
- 31 May: Race for Gift. 5k & 10k in Geneva.
- 21 June: Trail running in Gex – La Croz’ et Raide.
Save the Date:
- 1 June: Course, The Edible Garden, Geneva
- 1-6 June: Geneva’s Out of the Box Dance Biennale.
- 3 June: Sir Elton John in concert in Geneva.
- 7 June: Old cars and motorcycles exhibit in Ferney-Voltaire, France. Registration now open to exhibit.
- 10 June: KISS in concert in Zurich.
- 16 June: Foo Fighters in St Gallen.
- 18-21 June: Art Basel, Basel.
- 20 June: Nitro Circus Moto Mayhem, Geneva.
- 21 June: Trail running in Gex – La Croz’ et Raide.
- 3-5 July: Pixar in Concert. Animated Pixar characters accompanied by the Sinfonietta de Lausanne.
- 4 July: Lake Parade, Geneva.
- 3-18 July: Montreux Jazz Festival.
Find All About Geneva (The Genevist) on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive the posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page