GENEVA, Switzerland — The Geneva Airport is connected for the remainder of the winter season to 107 destinations through 50 airlines. Faithful readers, as customary find below a recap on the various changes (including some for the upcoming summer).
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia — Geneva will be connected to Sub Saharan Africa through Ethiopian Airlines, thrice a week (Wed, Fri, Sun) beginning 3 June . The Addis Ababa-Geneva flight is a direct route with a stop in Milan.
- Belgrade, Serbia — Air Serbia will link Geneva to Belgrade starting 25 March with two weekly flights (Thu, Sun).
- Chișinău, Moldova — The capital of Moldova is now reachable directly from Geneva twice per week (Mon, Fri). Air Moldova began the route on 15 December.
- Funchal, Portugal — EasyJet will operate this once-a-week seasonal flight until 21 March 2018. Madera’s capital Funchal, is known as a sunny hiking paradise this time of the year. (For those of you who don’t ski!)
- Gran Canaria, Spain — the second most populous island of the Canary Islands can be reached once a week (Thu) directly from Geneva via EasyJet.
- Krakow, Poland — EasyJet now flies twice weekly to the second largest city in Poland. Wed and Fri until mid-May, and Tue and Sat until mid-October.
- Ljubljana, Slovenia — In a previous post, I informed that Swiss had cancelled its non-stop flight to the beautiful Slovenian city, but Geneva is once again connected thanks to Adria Airways. The thrice a week non-stop flight (Mon, Wed, Thu) will make connecting to Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Pristina, Tirana, and Podgorica much easier.
- Madrid, Spain — Iberia has increased service to Madrid via Geneva, and connected Basel to Madrid. It is also now 70 years since Iberia first connected Madrid and Geneva — the airline’s fifth international destination. The Spanish-Swiss fly affair goes beyond connecting these two cities. Madrid is also Switzerland’s preferred gateway to Latin America.
- Port Louis, Mauritius — Air Mauritius is back flying from Geneva every Friday until 23 February. The winter seasonal service to Port Louis was first flown in 1987 and operated for 25 years before taking a hiatus. The Indian Ocean island nation is a popular destination from Switzerland. In 2016, over 36,000 passengers flew from Swiss to Mauritius.
- Southampton, England — this medieval city in the county of Hampshire can be reached thrice weekly (Tue, Thu, Sun) via EasyJet until 14 April!
- British Airways celebrated 70 years of its Geneva-London route. Nowadays, the airline offers up to 73 departures per week from Geneva to Gatwick, 56 to Heathrow, 16 to London City, and 1 weekly flight to Stansted. (Photo of the original British European Airways 1947 poster promoting flights to Geneva.)
Changes in, to and from the airport
- One million free bus tickets have been issued by the Geneva public transport system/Unireso since the program began offering free 80-min bus rides to anyone arriving at the Geneva airport. The programme which began in 2009, is undoubtedly a success. The millionth passenger received a one-year free bus pass for TPG/Unireso valued at CHF700. The lucky winner? According to the LinkedIn profile, the winner is an IATA (International Air Transport Association) employee. Mmmm.
- Anyone flying from Geneva to non-Schengen countries or vice versa will have to undergo emigration controls at the airport. The measure went into effect in late summer 2017, and is also true for flights to and from the UK. Continue to expect delays. Sigh.
A Geneva airport map is now available on any iPhone using IOS11. From bathrooms to check-ins to praying areas… all at the reach of your fingertips. Simply type “Geneva airport” in Maps.
- There are now more Swiss trains connecting the Geneva airport to Nyon, Morges, Palézieux and Romont. In addition, the airport is now connected directly to Lausanne and Brig, without stopping in Geneva.
- On 28 January, checkout the Envol travel showcase at the airport. Over a dozen airlines, plus travel operators will hold a travel and tourism fair at the airport. Plan your next holiday now 🙂
Checkout all the seasonal winter non-stop flights from Geneva here… and safe travels!
Find All About Geneva (The Genevist) on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive our posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page.