GENEVA, Switzerland – November, end of fall, winter at our door. Fear not, a few (free) events are in store.
Dear readers, here’s this month’s selection of events for Geneva. I will not be posting a separate list of events for December. Instead, I have posted a few here, the Christmas markets list will be published separately, as well as more information on the Escalade and New Year’s festivities. As always, a few favorites are highlighted in blue.
Navigate the list easier by clicking on the following categories:
- Art & Other Exhibits
- Concerts, Films and other Performing Arts
- Fairs, Lectures, Conventions, Special Events
- Food and Wine
- Sports/Fitness Activities
Art & Other Exhibits
- 3 Nov: Geneva Old Town Gallery Night – evening gallery hopping never looked so cool!
- 2 Nov-11 Dec: Murmures, As Far as the Eye Can See – and Further (free) at the Cité du Temps, Geneva
- 6 Nov, 4 Dec: Free entry to all temporary exhibits of the city of Geneva museums
- 12-13 Nov: Geneva modern art open doors
- 18 Nov-11 Dec: World Press Photo 16 – the best photojournalism (picked from more than 80,000 entries submitted by over 5,000 photojournalists), Prangins, canton Vaud
- Until 27 Nov: Prix Kiefer Hablitzel exhibit – plastic arts by artists under 30 years of age (free)
- Until 8 Jan: The World of Dinosaurs – a giant and rather laaarge exhibit at Palexpo, for the whole family!
- Until 15 Jan: 3,000 years without money, Egyptian-themed exhibit
- Until 19 Feb: Geneva vs Savoie through forts and knights (Châteaux forts et Chevaliers) at the Geneva Art and History Museum (review to come).
- Until Feb: Jewels of the Distant East, Gold Across the Seas at the Bauer Museum
- Until March: Those Swiss have made France
- 2 Nov: Zucchero in concert
- 3 Nov: Tribute, the Best of Pink Floyd, Annecy, France
- 3-27 Nov: Festival couleur café – Percussion from the Ivory Coast; Psycho soul from the UK; Soul Makossa from Cameroon; music from Mali and more!
- 5 Nov: Pisco bar, ceviche & Afro-Caribbean music
- 5 Nov: Free concerts as part of the Catch a Car – part of the launch of a new car share system in Geneva
- 11 Nov: J. Balvin (reggaeton) in concert, Zurich
- 10 Nov, 15 Dec: Classical music at the museum
- 13 Nov, 18 Dec, 22 Jan: Classical music, sopranos and organ concerts at the Victoria Hall
- 14 Nov: Maceo Parker, jazz concert, Geneva
- 20 Nov: Youssou N’Dour in concert, Geneva
- 23 Nov: Anoushka Shankar in concert
- 25 Nov: Jean-Michel Jarre in concert
- 6 Dec: Christmas concert: Fiesta Latina
Films and other (Performing) Arts
- 3 Nov: Power to Change, free eco film screening
- 4-6 Nov: Street Art Evening – Les Nuits du Street Art in Carouge: music, art, foodtrucks and dancing
- Until 5 Nov: Ba/Rock, baroque ballet at the Opéra des Nations in Geneva
- 4-12 Nov: Geneva International Film Festival Tous Ecrans – a TV, film, web festival
- 6 Nov-21 Dec: Puppet shows for kids & grownups; on Sundays and Wednesdays@ 11:00 & 16:00 at Théâtre de Gaspard, in the St Jean neighborhood (022 733 55 67)
- 9 Nov: Ciné Onu – Ghandi followed by a debate, free to get in, but if not a UN pass holder, you will need to get one
- 10-27 Nov: Les Créatives – music, theatre, dance and other performing arts festival
- 15-19 Nov: Theatre in English: Relative Values
- Until 18 Nov: Kenji Mizoguchi – retrospective of 17 films directed by the Japanese filmmaker
- 18 Nov- 4 Dec: Latin American film festival: Filmar en América Latina – a staple of the city, Spanish-language films w/subtitles in English and/or French. Don’t miss it!
- 19-29 Nov: Der Vampyr – an opera sung in German with English & French subtitles
- 2 Dec: Les Choristes, French musical at the Arena
- 2-4 Dec: Theatre in English: Puss in Boots
- 8 Dec: Renegade Saints improvised comedy show in English, 19:30 @ Pickwick’s
- 17 Dec: Ballet, The Nutcracker
- 18 Dec: Irish Celtic dance
Fairs, Lectures, Conventions and other Special Events
- 3-6 Nov: Artisans market in Grand-Saconnex, free
- 4-6 Nov: Giant English Library book sale
- 5 Nov: TedX at Institut Le Rosey, Rolle
- 6 Nov: Vintage trolley parade, Geneva – simply head to Rive and ride in any of the historic lines. CHF4 or CHF10 for an all day pass.
- 8 Nov: Geneva Peace Week – “70 years in the service of Peace and Justice – An Exhibition by the International Court of Justice” – Lecture, free. Registration required
- 8 Nov: US Elections Watch Party in Geneva
- 11-20 Nov: Les Automnales: vintage sales; cat & dog shows; Swiss army surplus sale, fortune tellers and more!
- 25 Nov: 2nd annual Geneva dance schools gala
- 9-11 Dec: L’Escalade – go back in time, simply head to Old Town where thousands of Genevois reenact that day in 1602 where the city stood against invaders – Do. Not. Miss. It.
Food and Drink
- 5 Nov: Wine festival in Peissy, Geneva
- 6 Nov: Lavaux guided walk and wine tasting
- 12 Nov: Colombian food festival in Lausanne
- 17-18 Nov: Barkavin – Geneva wine cruise presented by local vineyards and wine sellers
- 18-19 Nov: Champagne tasting at Beau-Rivage, Geneva
- 24 Nov: Wine tasting at the Mandarin Oriental
- 26 Nov: Geneva independent wine-makers festival
- Until 22 Dec: Thursday night market & music in Carouge from 14:00 to 21:00. Concerts from 17:00 to 20:00. At Place du Marché.
Sports/Fitness Activities & Other Outdoor Activities
- Nov-Dec: Geneva Hockey Team at home games including pre-Christmas game
- mid-Nov to March: Outdoor ice skating in Geneva, canton Vaud and neighboring France
- 5 Nov: Soap Box Derby, Grand-Saconnex, free
- 6 Nov: Escalade run training at the UN Geneva
- 2-3 Dec: L’Escalade races— thousands of runners, kids, pros and some in costumes take to the streets of Old Town, Geneva
- 2-3 Dec: Supercross motorbike Geneva
- 8-11 Dec: CHI Horse Jumping Competition
- 18 Dec: Christmas swimming cup by the English garden
Find us on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive the posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page.