GENEVA, Switzerland – After an absence in June, here’s my selection of what’s on in Geneva (and a few beyond) in July 2016. The ultimate 2016 Geneva summer guide, coming up soon!
- Art Exhibits
- Concerts, Outdoor Films and other Performing Arts
- Fairs, Conventions, Salsa Dancing, Special Events
- Food and Wine
- Sports/Fitness Activities
- Until 31 July: 50 Days for Photography in Geneva.
- Until 31 July: Geneva throughout Literature, an outdoor photo exhibit by David Wagnières
- Until 18 September: Rembrandt in Geneva – let’s go Dutch this summer!
- Until 30 October: Money, objects of exchange – A wonderful collection of objects that were once considered better than money to exchange and/or barter, Geneva (free)
- 1-16 July: Montreux Jazz Festival (including free concerts)
- 3 July-19 August: Musiques en été is Geneva’s (mostly free) summer concerts throughout town. Don’t miss it!
- 8-9 July: Gena Festival in Avully, canton Geneva (from hip hop to rock)
- 11-21 July: Festival de Bellerive in Collonge (from classical to jazz)
- 14-16 July: Montjoux Festival in Thonon-les-bains, France (over the French side of Lake Geneva, a three day Francophone music festival)
- 19-24 July: Paléo Festival in Nyon (a Swiss-Woodstock of sorts)
- 22 July-7 August: Verbier Classical Music Fest
- 25 July-28 August: Sunrise concerts at Bains de Paquis (for early birds or late owls – almost free)
- Until 6 August: Free classical music concerts (daily except Sundays)
- 11 August: Romeo Santos in concert in Geneva (bachata from NYC)
- 6 October: Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals in Geneva
Outdoor films and other Performing Arts
- Until 24 July: L’Escale, a Geneva urban festival with outdoor films, concerts, picnics and more, free
- 1-2 July: Movies at the Chateau, outdoors, free in Grand Saconnex
- 8-10 July: Movies under the stars in Bernex, Geneva (free)
- 13 July-14 August: Cine du Lac, outdoors films, restaurants and lounge bar (CHF15)
- 14 July-21 August: Movies under the stars (Ciné Transat, free)
- Until 30 July: Cinéma under the stars, until 30 July, Franchises Park, free
- 2 July: 60s and 70s Salsa played in Vinyl, outdoors at La Barje (free)
- 2 July: Avant garde Theatre by Omar Porras in Neuchatel
- 4 July: Mues & Culbuto outdoor circus in Meyrin, free
- 17 July: Salsa Dancing at Halles de l’île (CHF10)
Fairs and other Special Events
- 28 June-15 July: Meyrin Les Bains, the commune hosts various events including kids activities
- 2-3 July: Swiss Car Event in Geneva (FMX, low-riders, stunts and more)
- 2 July-28 August: Tour de Plage in Carouge. Block parties, kids activities, outdoor dancing, sports, pétanque, concerts, workshops and more. Most events are free.
- 4 July-25 August: Free French courses in Geneva
- 9-10 July: The Evening of Science, learn science under the stars. Great for everyone and free!
- 14 July: French National Day (Bastille celebrations)
- 15 July: Wakeboard summer party
- 16-17 July: Colombian Independence Festival in Lausanne (CHF5)
- Until 21 July: Free makeup lessons at the park, Franchises
- 4-14 August: Geneva Lake Festival (formerly, Fêtes de Genève) – Unsure what the new version will look like but there will be carnival rides and fireworks by the harbor.
- 20 August: Tango dancing, Carouge
- Until 23 September: Lausanne Estivale – theater, dance, kids activities, thematic hikes, readings, concerts and more. Many events are free
- Full flea market, home decor and vintage sales listing posted separately here.
Food and Wine
- 2 July: Free crepes in Plainpalais
- 8-10 July: Fete de la Tomate — it is not quite a tomatina, but Geneva has its own tomato festival in Carouge, free
- 14 July-1 September: Vevey Folk Markets (each Saturday step back in time), free
- 15 July: Wiine.Me anniversary party
- 2-3 October: Whiskies and spirits tasting & conferences in Lausanne
- Taichi at Franchises Park, free, every Tues & Thurs until 4 August
- Yoga, free at Franchises Park, every Tues & Thurs until 4 August
- Pilates, Saturdays, free until 23 July
- Kung Fu, free, Fri & Sat, until 23 July
- Taekwondo, free, Mon, Wed, Fri until 26 August
- African dancing, free, Fri & Sat until 6 August
- 4 July-23 August: Kayaking at Lake Rossiniere, Vaud
- Until 10 July: Eurocup at Plainpalais
- 10 July: L’Etape du Tour cycling (Megève-Morzine)
- 12-17 July: Swiss Wheelchair Tennis Open (volunteers wanted)
- 15-17 July: Speed boats race (F1H20 UIM World Championship), free, Evian-les-bains
- 18-20 July: Tour de France comes to Bern
- 31 July: Geneve Plage to Bains de Paquis Swim (for strong swimmers only)
- 31 July: SlowUp Genève – 30km free of cars for you to ride your bicycle, rollerblade, walk, you name it!
- 31 July-1 August: Swim for diabetes, one-man will swim from Villeneuve to Geneva to collect funds for diabetes.
- 20-21 August: Lausanne Triathlon
- 11 September: Romandie Energie Run (half marathon), Lausanne
- Swimming in Geneva lakes and rivers
Find us on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive the posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page.