GENEVA, Switzerland – We are heading to the end of summer but by the number of (free) events, there is still plenty to do outdoors. Here’s my selection of what’s on in Geneva (and beyond) in August.
- Art Exhibits
- Concerts, Outdoor Films and other Performing Arts
- Fairs, Conventions, Salsa Dancing, Special Events
- Food and Wine
- Sports/Fitness Activities
- 7 August: Free entry to temporary exhibits in Geneva
- Until 18 September: Rembrandt in Geneva – let’s go Dutch!
- Until 9 October: Frankenstein, Creation of Darkness – very à propos since Mary Shelley began writing her masterpiece in Cologny
- Until 30 October: Money, objects of exchange – A wonderful collection of objects that were once considered better than money to exchange and/or barter, Geneva (free)
- 11 August: Romeo Santos in concert in Geneva (bachata from NYC)
- 1-19 August: Musiques en été is Geneva’s (mostly free) summer concerts throughout town. Don’t miss it!
- 17-20 August: Kool & the Gang, Arrested Development, Bastian Baker, Charlie Winston and more in the Venoge Festival in canton Vaud
- 18-20 August: Plein-les-Watts festival in Plan-les-Ouats, canton Geneva: reggate and ska and plenty of other groovy sounds
- 20 August: Jazz on the Beach in Hermance, Geneva – Free concerts on the 20th and a few more on the 19th at the lovely Hermance beach
- 26-27 August: Metal and reggae music festival at the Octopode Festival in Meyrin, Geneva
- 26-28 August: Festiverbant, rock, blues, folk, bluegrass and metal at Bardonnex in canton Geneva. It includes various UK groups, Irish bluegrass and a tribute to KISS!
- 1-28 August: Sunrise concerts at Bains de Paquis (for early birds or late owls – almost free)
- 6 October: Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals in Geneva
Outdoor films and other Performing Arts
- 5 August: String Puppets, Marionettes, free, 21:00, Plan-les-Ouates
- 6 August: outdoor silent film, free, Champel
- 9 August: outdoor movie, free, Plan-les-ouates
- Until 14 August: Cine du Lac, outdoors films, restaurants and lounge bar (CHF15)
- Until 21 August: Movies under the stars (Ciné Transat, free)
- 24 August: Demain, Tomorrow, the movie, free at Gruetli (a positive film about a not so positive environmental future)
- 24-28 August: Spoutnik en plein air, les films à boire – Movies under the stars with a glass of your favorite drink by the Spoutnik film association
- Every Wednesday: Salsa dancing under the stars at the Barje, free
Fairs and other Special Events
- 4-14 August: Geneva Lake Festival (formerly, Fêtes de Genève) – if you are looking for the American version of a carnival, this is it. Mechanical rides and fireworks by the harbor on the 13th
- 6 August: Fete du Lac, Annecy, France – the largest fireworks in Europe at only a few minutes from Geneva – a must see
- 12-15 August: Vogue de Bardonnex, canton Geneva – town fair with carnival rides, food, music, kids activities and more (free)
- 14 August: Salsa by Cine du Lac followed by outdoor films, Geneva
- 18 August: Forró du Rhone – Brazilian music and food by the River, near the Ethno bar (free)
- 20 August: A night of science, space and sports ideal for families in Signal de Bougy, canton Vaud – Féerie d’une Nuit (free)
- Until 21 August: Bees and Bats – ideal for families with children, free, Geneva
- Until 25 August: Free French courses at the park in Geneva
- Until 28 August: Tour de Plage in Carouge. Block parties, kids activities, outdoor dancing, sports, pétanque, concerts, workshops and more. Most events are free.
- 20 August: Tango dancing, Carouge
- 27-28 August: Volkswagen Beetle car meet in Seyssel, neighbouring France – a collection of lovely old engines (Coccinelles et dérivés)
- Until 23 September: Lausanne Estivale – theater, dance, kids activities, thematic hikes, readings, concerts and more. Many events are free
- Full flea market, home decor and vintage sales listing posted separately here.
Food and Wine
- 14 August: Say Cheeese! Fête du Reblochon in La Clusaz, neighbouring France
- 20 August: Champagne garden party & DJ
- 26 August: Whiskey tasting in Lutry
- 28 August: Chocolac cruise – part of Lausanne a Table food festival, a full day of artisan chocolates and boat rides!
- 28 August: Picnic and dance at Evaux Park in Onex – bring something to grill and dance (free)
- 2-3 October: Whiskies and spirits tasting & conferences in Lausanne
- 2-30 August: Free yoga at La Pointe, in Jonction every Tues
- 8-30 August: Free Taekwondo lessons at the Franchises park, every Mon, Wed and Fri
- 10-21 August: Lausanne sur mer – sports activities (kayaz, paddle, slackline, etc) and barbecues in Lausanne
- Until 19 August: Hip Hop, Dancehall lessons, free Mon-Fri at 19:00 at Geisendorf Park
- 19-21 August: Largest freestyle waterslide in Europe for two days in Montreux – Montreux Summerslide
- 19-21 August: Le Bélier Trail – 13-km hikes, trail races and more at a three-day event in La Clusaz, France
- 20 August: Giant Pokémon chase in Geneva
- Until 23 August: Kayaking at Lake Rossiniere, Vaud
- Until 24 August: Tai Chi, free, every Wednesday at 18:30 at Geisendorf Park
- 26-28 August: Vernets pool in Geneva celebrates 50 years with music and DJs and of course, swimming!
- 27 August: Giant Pokémon chase at the English Garden in Geneva
- Until 25 August: Fitness for Seniors, every Thursday at 9:15, free at Geisendorf Park
- Until 26 August: Free Taekwondo courses every Mon, Wed & Fri from 18:00 at the Franchises Park
- Until 28 August: Geneva Urban Golf, free to play! Simply bring your ID to the Bastions Park where you can get the free golf clubs, follow the map, play at your own pace, see the city, stop for a beer. Every day from 13:00 to 19:00
- 31 July-1 August: Swim for diabetes, one-man will swim from Villeneuve to Geneva to collect funds for diabetes.
- 20-21 August: Lausanne Triathlon
- 4 September: Street Fishing competition, Geneva
- 11 September: Romandie Energie Run (half marathon), Lausanne
- 24 September: Run2Run, several races including Nording Walking, 5k, 10k and more in Carouge, Geneva
- Swimming in Geneva lakes and rivers
Find us on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive the posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page.