GENEVA, Switzerland – Happy 2017 — here’s this month’s top picks for events in the city and canton of Geneva. A few favorites are highlighted in blue — a few kid-oriented activities in green.
Navigate the list easier by clicking on the categories:
- Art & Other Exhibits
- Concerts, Film Fests and other Performing Arts
- Fairs, Lectures, Conventions, Special Events
- Food and Wine
- Sports/Fitness Activities
Art & Other Exhibits
- Until 8 Jan: The World of Dinosaurs – a giant and rather laaarge exhibit at Palexpo, for the whole family!
- Until 15 Jan: 3,000 years without money, Egyptian-themed exhibit – free
- 13 Jan-29 Feb: Bipolar, a Photo Exhibit – free
- 19 Jan: Nuits des bains — an evening to go gallery hopping and drink some wine with the beautiful people — free and to do at least once if new to Geneva
- 31 Jan-15 Mar: Temps irréel – an art and music installation at Villa Bernasconi with a performace art and opening on 31 Jan – free
- 26-29 Jan: ArtGenève – move over Art Basel, this art festival is one megafest and right in Geneva (at Palexpo)
- Until 19 Feb: Geneva vs Savoie through forts and knights (Châteaux forts et Chevaliers) at the Geneva Art and History Museum
- Until mid-Feb: Jewels of the Distant East, Gold Across the Seas at the Bauer Museum
- Until 25 Feb: Pépites genevoises #2 – Bandes déssinées created by Geneva artists — free
- Until end Feb: 150 Years of the Russian Church of Geneva — free
- Until March: Those Swiss who have made France
- 13-28 Jan: Various classical music concerts
- 13-15 Jan: Welcome Scandinavia music fest – hur coolt 🙂
- 14 Jan: Swiss Chamber concert
- 16-21 Jan: Walk the Line festival – concerts in Nyon, neighboring France, Lausanne and Sion including: Peter Harper (Ben Harper’s brother)
- 20 Jan: Elena Greandia sings flamenco
- 24-25 Jan: The Afghan Women’s Orchestra “Zohra” at the Geneva International School
- 26 Jan: Opera, Nabucco by Giuseppe Verdi
- 27 Jan-19 Feb: Antigel Festival – off beat concerts to DJs and more in one ultracool festival — many free events
- 27 Jan: The tenor Ramón Vargas in concert
- 28 Jan: Urban Music Festival
- 1-4 Feb: Swiss Contemporary Dance Days – a festival of modern dance that includes workshops and spontaneous dancing
- 6 Feb: Apocalyptica – or how to play Metallica with four cellos – at Theatre du Leman
- 11-12 Feb: Patti Smith in concert
- 20 May: Deep Purple in concert
Film fests and other (Performing) Arts
- Until 8 Jan: Les Flottins, a bit of art, magic and tons of driftwood for everyone — free in Evian, France
- 13-15 Jan: Disney on Ice – 100 Years of Dreams
- 20-29 January: Black Film Festival – international films — films for kids are screened under the Petit Black Movie.
- 22 Jan: Dara O Brian Live – Irish Stand Up!
- 2 Feb: Ballet, Rome and Juliet
- 3 Feb: CirkaCuba – Cuban circus in the same vein that Cirque du Soleil, except with salsa and Cuban sounds
- 4 Feb: Celtic Legends
- 15 Feb: Bharati 1 – Bollywood
Fairs, Lectures, Conventions and other Special Events
- 13 Jan: Christophe Geissler, ice sculpting live – at the Charmilles Plaza — free
- 19 Jan: New Year Networking Night at the Graduate Institute
- 20-21 Jan: Geneva School of Arts and Design open doors HEAD (Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes) — free
- 20-22 Jan: Geneva International Tattoo Convention – shows, music and of course, tats!
- 25 Jan, 29 Mar, 12 Apr: Wednesday of Science – kids activities to learn about the sky, light and electricity – in French — free
- 26 Jan: Scientific speed dating – at the Natural History Museum talk with experts on natural sciences – dating optional — free
- 26 Jan: Discussion: Cuba, challenges in food security – free at the Graduate Institute (in Spanish, simultaneous French interpretation)
- 28 Jan: Chinese New Year alternative celebration at the forest in Satigny – part of the Antigel Festival
- 4 Feb: Monstrous Parade or mid-winter parade open to all in Meyrin — free
Food and Drink
- 8 Jan: Leave a Cup, Take a Cup — head to the Arianna Museum before 8 January with a mug or cup with a handle, write something on a piece of paper and put it inside the cup — on 8 January at 15:00 pick up a cup and read that message that a perfect stranger left just for you — free
- 25 Jan: Lunch Theatre — a lunch special paired with a short theatre piece in French – To Be or not to Mmm Mmm!
- 28 Jan: Ravioli Party to celebrate the Chinese New Year — free but registration required
Sports/Fitness Activities & Other Outdoor Activities
- 20-22 Jan: 50th Geneva International Swimming Championships — free
- 21 January: Antigel Run – A 1K, 2K and 10K evening run where runners carry neon lights – part of the Antigel Festival
- 27 January: Roller Skate Party – part of the Antigel Festival. A riot!
- 27 Jan: Urban Safari: a rally through various art spaces
- Until end of February: Ice skating around Lake Geneva — free, almost
Find us on Facebook where we post news from other blogs and news sites. We are also on Twitter with news from Geneva and beyond . To receive the posts via email, kindly subscribe at the bottom of the page.